Friday, May 24, 2013

Week 5, Halfway there!

I've (sporadically!) been following salon.com and heroesandheartbreakers.com.  Salon.com is certainly much more to  my liking since they review books that I might actually read as to romance novels which I definitely will not.  That being said heroesandheartbreakers appears to cover a wide variety of materials which I didn't consider for the Romance genre.  One example is Z: A novel of Zelda Fitzgerald. This site also keeps readers informed about TV shows such as Game of Thrones and the upcoming scoop on Downton Abbey.  There's lots here other than just romance which is a good thing.

I've been a subscriber to Early Word for a long time.  The highlights appear in my inbox on Friday and I'm very familiar with the website.  It has so many useful lists and links, all in one spot.  Popular fiction is very popular at Cockeysville.  Customers come in with the bestseller lists from the Baltimore Sunpapers and the New York Times.  If it's on a list, they want to read it.  They will also read the book version of movies, and often hope that there are book versions of movies even when there aren't.  Urban fiction tends to gather dust on our shelves here.  One resource not mentioned that I tend to use myself, and that is popular with our customers is the Book Page.  We can't keep that in stock.  I reserve quite a few titles from that myself.  I've given that out to any number of customers.

My pick for a highly anticipated title is:

This new novel by the hugely popular author, Khaled Hosseini, is a multi-generational family novel of love, loss and betrayal. Taking place throughout the globe from Kabul, Paris, San Francisco, and the Greek Island of Tinos, this novel follows the characters and the ramifications of the choices they have made. The lush description and language bring the novel to life. Hosseini is a master storyteller. I'm reading this novel now and I can't put it down! For those who like "epic" reads.



No comments:

Post a Comment