Monday, June 24, 2013

Week 9 - Done At Last!!

I read the articles about the book trailers and watched the embedded book trailers.  I particularly enjoyed the two from Jeanette Walls having read The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses. I just can't imagine having a mother like that.  I'm one of those people that cringe at the thought of it.  Do I think book trailers are an effective marketing tool?  Not so much.  I don't believe that most people even know that they exist.  There are very few that have grabbed me enough to want to go out to read the book. I also don't think they are a useful tool for Readers' Advisory.  Will we be running around the branches with our iPads showing the customers book trailers?  Somehow I doubt it.

Using YouTube I did watch the trailer for Room, which I thought was pretty good and captured the essence of the book.  It was creepy enough that I would want to read it.  I loved John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, and thought the trailer very lame.  Watching the trailer would not drive me to the book.  We looked at some book trailers for the Legal Thrillers Genre Bootcamp and most left much to be desired.  It appears that the most successful ones incorporate some author interviews which make them more appealing.

What have I taken away from these nine weeks of exercises?  I enjoyed exploring websites and genres that I normally would not have looked at if left to my own devices.  I certainly have a better working knowledge and vocabulary when it comes to the "appeal factors" of a book though I still have difficulty describing a book in those terms without going into the plot in much detail. Having joined Goodreads over a year ago and never having posted a thing, I now am keeping a list of books I have read there.  I don't find it useful for much else frankly.  I can get the same useful information from Amazon if I want opinion reviews.  Week number 6 was a waste of time looking for fan sites which didn't appear to exist, or existed at one time and expired several years ago.  It sounded like someone's library school project we had to revisit. But all in all it hasn't been too bad!

Signing off for the last time!

No comments:

Post a Comment